Recipe by mollypaul
This simple and purely delicious bean soup comes from the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time.
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 ounces salt pork or 2 ounces bacon or 2 ounces ham
- 1⁄4 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped peanuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight; drain and discard water.
- Place beans in a pot and add two cups water.
- Cook until tender and mash.
- Brown salt pork and add to bean pulp.
- Brown onion in pork fat; add to soup.
- Thin soup with water to desired consistency, season with salt and pepper, and serve very hot.
- Variation** Brown sliced onions, arrange on toast, pour the soup over the top and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.