This simple and purely delicious bean soup comes from the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 ounces salt pork or 2 ounces bacon or 2 ounces ham
- 1/4 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped peanuts (optional)
- 1Cover beans with water and soak overnight; drain and discard water.
- 2Place beans in a pot and add two cups water.
- 3Cook until tender and mash.
- 4Brown salt pork and add to bean pulp.
- 5Brown onion in pork fat; add to soup.
- 6Thin soup with water to desired consistency, season with salt and pepper, and serve very hot.
- 7Variation** Brown sliced onions, arrange on toast, pour the soup over the top and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Frijol - Pinto Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.3
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.1 mg
- Sodium 204.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g