Recipe by mollypaul
This Fideo Soup With Chicken, made with a recipe from America's Restaurant in Harlingen, can be served as a soup or stew depending on the amount of broth used. America Rangel uses one or two chicken pieces per serving, and serves this with warm corn tortillas and refried beans. Courtesy of Eagle News Services via our local newspaper.
- 1 chicken, cut into parts
- bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (10 ounce) boxesdry fideo noodles (pieces about 1 1/4 inch long) or 2 (10 ounce) boxesbroken dry vermicelli (pieces about 1 1/4 inch long)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (just enough for some color and flavor)
- cilantro (optional) or jalapeno, for seasoning and color, to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first five ingredients in a large stockpot with enough water to cover; boil until done, about 30 minutes.
- Drain and reserve broth.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Sauté the fideo in oil a few minutes until lightly browned over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper pieces and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add cooked vegetables and noodles to the cooked chicken pieces.
- Pour in some broth and tomato sauce, enough to cover everything (just a little for thicker stews, more for thinner soups), then cover and simmer until noodles are cooked through.
- Finish with more seasonings (cumin, salt, garlic, to taste).
- Can be garnished with cilantro and/or jalapeño.