1 hr 30 mins
Julie in TX's Note:
This is Tex-Mex at its best. It's a great chicken soup recipe. I have not prepared this recipe, but I have eaten it and it's delish. The recipe came from the Chiquita Mexican Cuisine restaurant in Dallas, TX.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, Coarsely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 8 ounces vermicelli, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 dried chili (New Mexico type)
- 6 -8 fresh cilantro stems, leaves removed and reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1Combine chicken broth, bay leaves and chicken breast in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the broth. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting to keep the broth warm. Chop the cooled chicken into small pieces.
- 2Heat olive oil in small pan. Add the poblano pepper strips, 1/2 the sliced onion and the garlic. Saute until the vegetables are soft. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside to use as garnish.
- 3Place the remaining onion in the same pan and saute until soft. Set aside.
- 4Place whole tomatoes into hot chicken broth for 1 minute. Remove tomatoes and slip off skins. Set tomatoes aside.
- 5Add vermicelli to simmering broth and cook for 4-6 minutes or until it is al dente. Remove the pasta from the broth and reserve.
- 6Do not discard the broth.
- 7Pour warm water over dried chili pepper to soften. This should take about 10 minutes. Chop cilantro stems and add to broth along with the thyme, cumin & marjoram, and tomato paste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Drain softened chili pepper. Remove the stem, slit down the length and remove the seeds. Place the seeded chili pepper, peeled tomatoes, and sauteed onion in a blender or food processor and process until it is a paste consistency. Add to the simmering broth. Add pasta and chopped chicken.
- 9Chop the reserved cilantro leaves finely. You should have about 2 tablespoons. Garnish soup with chopped cilantro, reserved poblano pepper strips and cooked onion slices.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Fideo
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.5
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 794.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 12.8 g