Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is one featured at the new Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe in Disney's California Adventure, located beside the bustle of Buena Vista Street and the trickling Carthay Circle fountain.
- 5 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tapatio hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, drained rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a 10-inch skillet. When oil is hot, add tortilla strips and stir until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, bell pepper and corn; cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, tomato puree, salt, chili powder, pepper, sugar, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour and water in a small bowl and stir into soup. Bring to a boil, then simmer 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Stir in cream, sour cream, shredded cheese, and black beans.
- To serve, garnish with fried tortilla strips and cilantro.