1/1 Photo of Sopa De Elote (Mexican Corn Soup)
Chef Tweaker's Note:
Posted from a Sparkpeople challenge for healthy recipes. I've made this but not recently. About time since corn is in season again! From: Steven Raichlen's Healthy Latin Cooking Epazote- I haven't had this and it turned out OK. Other names for it: Pigweed, wormseed, lamb's quarters, goosefoot and Jerusalem oak. He claims there is no substitute but I'm guessing thyme or oregano would work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 poblano chiles or 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 473.18 ml corn kernels, fresh (or frozen and thawed)
- 6 sprig epazote, fresh (or dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 44.37 ml cilantro, chopped
- 14.79-29.58 ml pure chile powder
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 1Place a comal (Mexican griddle used for cooking tortillas) or a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pepper, onions and garlic. Roast turning occasionally, until nicely browned.
- 2As they brown, transfer to a plate to cool. The garlic will take 3-4 minutes and the pepper and onions will take 6-8 minutes.
- 3Using plastic gloves, scrape as much skin off the pepper as you can.
- 4Finely chop the pepper, onions and garlic.
- 5In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the peppers, onions, garlic, corn 2 sprigs of epazote, the bay leaf and stock or broth. Bring to a simmer.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the corn is soft. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- 7Puree the soup in a blender; return it to the pan. Stir in the cilantro and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish each with a sprig or sprinkling of epazote and a sprinkling of chili powder.
- 9Serve each with a lime wedge for squeezing into the soup.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Elote (Mexican Corn Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.8
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 788.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g