1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Cuban-inspired soup that is perfect for watching your favourite vigilante serial killer on television. Or if you're just in the mood for Cuban!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced on a bias (smoked sausage is good too)
- 4 ounces bacon, diced (or salt pork)
- 2 small onions, small dice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- 1/2 green pepper, small dice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked (navy beans work too)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -1 1/2 cup squash, cubed, peeled (1/2-1 inch cubes)
- 1 medium potato, cut in 1-2 inch chunks
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1In a pot, cook diced bacon.
- 2Add onion, celery and pepper, cook until slightly softened. Add garlic, and cook for a minute or so.
- 3Add Chorizo and brown lightly.
- 4Stir in tomato paste, then add about 8 – 10 cups of water, as much as you like, really, but that’s a good starting point.
- 5Give it a good stir to make sure all the tomato paste is dissolved.
- 6Add beans, oregano, cumin and lime juice or vinegar, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until beans are softened, or just about.
- 7Then stir in squash, potatoes and cabbage. Cover loosely with lid ajar, and let simmer until they are tender, but not falling apart when you test the potatoes and squash with a knife.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Preferably with some thick, crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Dexter
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 482.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 16.1 g