1/2 Photos of Sopa De Cenoura - Carrot Soup - Portugal
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
This recipe is submitted for play in ZWT8 – Spain/Portugal. It is a recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins This is a truly wonderful dish that is easy to make and loaded with vitamin A. It is unique because a straight forward puréed soup that does not require other ingredients to give it additional texture is unusual in Portuguese cooking. When entertaining, I dress this soup up with a drizzle of heavy cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, very ripe, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, left whole
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet potato, medium, white, peeled, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup turnip, yellow, peeled, roughly chopped (rutabaga)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt, coarse sea
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a 4-quart stock pot over medium-high heat. Add and sauté the onion until a light golden color, then stir in the tomato and garlic.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and continue cooking until the tomato is soft and partially dissolved, about 15 minutes.
- 3Add in the carrots, sweet potato, and turnip, pour in the water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 4Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and purée the soup (a hand-blender works well).
- 5Stir in the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup back to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 more minutes, then serve.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Cenoura - Carrot Soup - Portugal
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.8
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1247.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g