Recipe by kiwidutch
I picked up a second hand book called Portuguese Cookery by Ursula Bourne, and want to post recipes that I have adapted so that I can make them soonest. If you make this before I do I would very much appreciate your feedback.
- 2 ounces fatty bacon, chopped
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 pints chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 ounces croutons
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the bacon over a low heat until the fat begins to run out. Add a little olive oil and the onions and continue to saute gently until the onions are golden brown but not caramelized.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a seperate frying pan, add 2.5cm ( 1 inch of water, a little salt and the vinegar.Bring it to the boil and add each of the eggs, then poach until they are just cooked though.
- Place one egg in the bottom of each soup plate and gently pour the onion soup mix over the egg.
- Add the croutons to the top of the soup. Serve immediately.