Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups brazil nuts
- 6 cups chicken broth (if using tinned make sure you follow any directions for dillution, otherwise this could be too salty)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup cream
- 2 pomegranates
- freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer on an non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice to toast evenly.
- Remove and cool.
- Rub the skins off the nuts, and grind them in a food processor until finely ground.
- Heat the broth in a large pot over medium heat.
- When warm, add about 1/2 c to the brazil nuts in the food processor, process until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, remove from heat and stir in flour until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir until thickened.
- Add 3 cups of the broth into the pan a bit at a time, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the mixture in the saucepan back into the broth and mix well.
- Whisk in the nut mixture.
- Season with salt, pepper, mace.
- Blend well.
- Stir in cream and simmer gently (DO NOT BOIL) for 20 minutes.
- If the soup is thicker than you wish, add a bit more cream or broth.
- Cut the pomegranates in half, juice one in a juicer, and strain into the soup.
- Remove the seeds from the other pomegranate.
- To serve, sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the soup in warm soup dishes.