Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 white sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2 -inch rough chunks
- 1 white potato, peeled and rough cut
- 1 cup butternut squash, blue hubbard squash (peeled and cubed) or 1 cup sweet pumpkin (peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 cup elbow macaroni (optional,)
- 2 cups kale (or a mix, coarsly chopped) or 2 cups cabbage (or a mix, coarsly chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (or to taste )
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large 8- quart pot, combine all the ingredients with the except the of the kale/cabbage, pasta, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour in enough water to cover, about 12 cups.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes.
- If using, add the pasta.
- Add the salt and pepper. Mix in the leafy greens and continue to simmer another 15 minutes until the potatoes, squash and beans are easily mashed with a fork.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and simmer one more minute.