Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This delicious recipe uses all of the shrimp. Be sure to buy un-peeled shrimp. You start by making a sofrito and end with a broth that is incredible in its depth of flavor. Let your food processor do the mincing. Where you see shrimp soup listed in the ingredients know that I use cubes of Knorr Sopa de Camaron that are about a Tbsp. For some reason the Recipe Tsar won't let me use the term. Feel free to add more of the Sriracha if you like. I do. ¡¡¡¡¡Buen Provecho!!!!!
- 1 kg of large un-peeled shrimp
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 1 red green and yellow pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, minced
- 6 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons shrimp soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha hot chili sauce
- Peel and devein the shrimp, reserving the shells.
- In a large frying pain heat 4 Tbsp of olive oil and saute the minced onion, carrots, peppers, garlic, and celery until soft. Add the finely diced tomatoes and continue to cook slowly until the tomatoes have rendered theirs juices and are soft. Be careful of burning and add water if mixture gets too dry.
- In a separate pan heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil and saute the shrimp shells until pink. Add the Knorr cubes of Sopa de Camaron and 2 qts of water. Cook vigorously adding water as needed. Taste for salt as the Knorr product has a considerable amount of it. If you need more flavor add additional cubes of Knorr. Strain to remove the shells. Allow both mixtures to cool somewhat and adding equal portions of mixture to a blender blend until smooth. In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and saute the tomato paste briefly then add the blended soup and cook on high heat for 10 minutes. Add the peeled and deveined shrimp and the Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, turn off the burner and put a lid on the pot. Leave for 10 minutes. Rewarm to serve, but do not bring to a boil as it will toughen the shrimp.