Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The rule in my kitchen is that there is no such thing as too much garlic. This recipe just clinched it! This was the first thing I learned to cook when I moved to Spain. It is the best cheap meal I know.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -9 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, frozen and cubed
- 7 cups boiling water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
- 4 eggs
- In a soup pot heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté garlic until golden.
- Add the bread cubes, stirring to coat with the garlic and oil. Stir occasionally until the bread cubes are all toasted.
- Add the boiling water. This will make the bread cubes dissolve. If there are some bread cubes that don't, just use a wire whisk to help it along. (If you are using bouillon for extra seasoning, this is the time to add it). Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs together and slowly pour eggs into the soup while stirring the soup. Simmer another 5 minutes to ensure that the eggs are completely cooked.
- Soup is ready to serve. If you can hide it from your family and serve the next day, it is SO much more garlicky!
- Omit chicken cube for Vegetarian.