Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a feel-better-soon remedy that I always have on hand. It makes a lot and keeps well in the freezer. From TOH Quick Cooking.
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a big pot, add the broth; bring to a boil; add celery; lower heat, cover, and let simmer, until celery is tender.
- Add in the remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until the rice is tender.
This was good and full of flavor. I followed the recipe other then I didn't have celery. I ended up adding an extra cup of rice as there was too much broth for us. With the extra cup, it was better for us.
This is THE go-to soup for feeding during cold and flu season. It's tasty, and as the name states - Soothing. My son and I love this recipe and I make it regularly. It is also a good food to have when trying to diet. I only put in 3/4 cup rice though, because we like more broth. I have even gifted this soup at the holidays. People love it!
3 out of 3 say 5 stars here!!!! YAY! With my picky crew, that's perfect! I used quick cooking barley instead of rice and added some peas and carrots to it as well. My son hates celery, but didn't even mention it in this soup! Thank you SOOOO much! I made this again with leftover turkey from a 20lb bird and it is every bit as good as the first time. You could put this receipe as a good soup for leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I also skimmed the fat off of the turkey drippings and used that for a broth.