1/1 Photo of Sooji (Semolina Halwa)
This recipe is slightly altered from one I found on the internet. My son and I love it, but try to restrict yourself from eating it daily!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small saucepan, bring water, sugar, and raisins (optional) to a boil, set aside.
- 2In a small to medium saucepan, heat ghee.
- 3Add semolina, cardamom.
- 4Sauté until light brown, stirring constantly.
- 5Add water/sugar/raisin mixture.
- 6Heat and stir until halwa reaches the consistency of thick mashed potatoes.
- 7Remove from heat, add almonds.
- 8note: I like to cook the halwa with the raisins but discard them (I don't particularly care for raisins).
- 9I also sauté the almonds in a bit of ghee, but that isn't necessary.
- 10To make ghee: Heat 2 sticks of butter in a saucepan on med-high until boiling.
- 11Turn down heat to med-low and cook for several more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 12Ghee will take on a weird plastic-like appearance at the top and smell like caramel.
- 13Strain the ghee through cheesecloth and a fine strainer.
- 14Save what isn't used in an airtight container (it does not need to be refrigerated).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sooji (Semolina Halwa)
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.2
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 66.8 mg
- Sodium 1.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 33.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g