Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my son's favorite recipe for pickled eggs. He takes these eggs in his lunch almost every day. What makes them different is the hint of cinnamon and cloves. It takes 5 days before they are ready to eat, but they are well worth it.
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beets
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves, whole
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- Pour the beet juice into a medium size pot. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt, cloves and the cinnamon stick. Place the pot over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the beets into the liquid mixture and let it cook for an additional 2 minutes to allow the beets to heat.
- Place the hard cooked eggs (with the shells removed) in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Pour the liquid and beets into the container with the eggs. Store the container in the refrigerator for approximately 5 days before eating.
- Additional hard-cooked eggs can be added to the container as you use up the eggs.
Just made these tonight for my Dad. So I will take a pic and come back to rate next weekend when I see my parents. I managed to get 8 hard cooked eggs in the jar. They look interesting. I might sneak one before I bring them to him. Thanks for sharing your recipe Crafty Lady 13. I will be back to update Update: These were absolutely wonderful. But I am so sorry I forgot my camera at home. I will be making these again that is for sure.
They turn out so pretty and my children can't get enough of them. The flavor reminds me a bit of pumpkin pie, due to the spices.
I loved this recipe though I havent been able to wait the five days.....will need to double it then hide half=) I chose this one becuase it used cloves and cinnamon gives it a nice taste.