Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rice goes well with chicken or fish. I watched a friend's housekeeper make this. She was from Sonora Mexico.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice, washed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 ounces cans plum tomatoes, chopped,reserving the juice
- 1⁄4 cup Pace Picante Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook rice, onion and garlic in oil,preferably in an electric skillet,stirring until rice is lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato, Paces,juice from tomato and chicken broth such that you add a total of 2 cups liquid in addition to the Paces.
- Simmer covered until liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes), without stirring.
- Top with cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese before serving.
This was a wonderful recipe. My daughter and I loved it!
This recipe earned rave reviews from my friends and it was nice and easy to make! Since I made it for a large group, I threw everything into the crockpot after browning the rice and let it sit on low for an hour or so. Great recipe which I will certainly make again!
Sonoran Rice is easy and fun to make and turned out great. My guests were properly impressed. It is one of those recipes that leads you from one ingredient to another. Add some green chilies, a bit of V8 juice, top with cojack cheese. It is all good.