Recipe by Sharlene~W
A easy to make, tasty soup from the Junior League Celebration cookbook. I added this recipe with hopes of trying it someday. Finally had a chance to tonight. This is quick and easy to make and is very good. If you have fresh cilantro, sprinkle some on when you serve to make it even better.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) canschopped tomatoes with garlic, oregano and basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (I prefer breasts)
- 1 (16 -32 ounce) can white kidney beans (depending on how "beany" you like your chili) or 1 (16 -32 ounce) can navy beans, drained (depending on how "beany" you like your chili)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic.
- Sauté about 5 minutes or until the shallots are soft.
- Add the seasoned tomatoes, broth, chilies, oregano, coriander and cumin.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken and beans.
- Mix well and cook until heated through.
- Stir in lime juice and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with cheese.