Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious soup from the Sonoma 1993 Winning Recipes. It goes together even faster if you have meatballs in the freezer.
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, 1/4-inch strips
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tortellini
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- Slice dried tomatoes into 1/4-inch wide strips; place in small bowl.
- Add the boiling water; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and egg with hands, mix well.
- Shape mixture into 3/4 inch meatballs.
- In 6 quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add meatballs; brown on all sides.
- Remove to bowl.
- To drippings in pan, add onion and garlic; saute until golden.
- Spoon off fat from pan.
- Return meatballs to pan; add tomatoes and their liquid, carrot, Italian seasoning, basil, beef broth and tortellini.
- Heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini; cover and cook 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender and tortellini is al dente or softer, if desired.
- Pass additional Parmesan cheese.
This soup is all I had hoped it would be! Very flavorful and satisfying. Another winning recipe from our very own, Lazyme : ) Thanks again!