Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sonoma Diet, Wave 1.
- 1⁄4 lb cooked smoked turkey sausage or 1⁄4 lb chicken sausage
- 1 large leek, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 0.5 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into thin, bite-size strips
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 6 ounces dry pasta
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded reduced-fat parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cut the sausage lengthwise into quarters. Slice into 1/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet, cook leek and garlic in hot olive oil until leek is tender. Stir in sausage, chicken broth, and roasted peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or just until spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil or salt; drain. Return pasta to saucepan. Add spinach mixture, basil, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Yummy! I had a few adjustments due to availability. I used a regular red pepper, instead of plain pasta I used whole wheat cheese tortellini and lastly just threw some diced green onions on top at the last minute. This was very good!