Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
From Diners, Drive-ins and Dives
- 4 (8 inch) hoagie rolls, homemade preferred
- 2 3⁄4 ounces olive oil
- 10 ounces onions, sweet, thinly sliced into 1/16-inch slices
- 28 ounces rib eye steaks, thinly sliced in 1/16-inch slices
- 2 ounces butter, sweet, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- provolone cheese
- Optional ingredients: homemade tomato sauce, bell peppers, mushrooms, or your favorite cheese.
- For the hoagies:.
- Preheat frying pan over medium-high heat. Cut the hoagie rolls horizontally to open up and make a pocket. Add the olive oil to the pan and stir in the onions. Put the steak on top of onions and add 1/2 ozs of the butter. Cover the pan for 21/2 minutes. The meat should have a cooked appearance on top and rare underneath. Using a fork and spatula separate steak from the onions. When the meat is cooked add the salt, remaining butter, and provolone. Cover to the pan to melt the cheese. Divide the steak mixture among the hoagie rolls and serve. If you like, you can add the optional ingredients to the steak mixture serving.
stupendous...incredible, to die for!! I thought the cooking method was strange but tried it and oh...imagine a cross between the best steak, philly cheese steak and french dip. I loved it