Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Deep fried hard-boiled eggs topped with crispy shallots and chillies. There is also an Indian version of this dish, called Egg and Potato Dum. Easy, extra dish to cook if you are having an Indonesian dinner. N/b use long chillies not the short ones.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 dried chilies, cut into 1/4-inch pieces seeded
- 1⁄2 pint cooking oil
- 4 ounces shallots, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a wok heat the oil and fry the chillies for a few seconds, do not burn them or they will taste bitter. Drain them on kitchen paper.
- Deep fry the shallots until golden, drain on kitchen paper.
- Now deep fry the eggs till golden brown all over. Drain them and keep them warm.
- In a small pan mix together the fish sauce, tamarind and sugar and cook for 5 mins till the sugar has dissolved.
- Slice the eggs in two lenghtways, arrange on a dish with the yolks upper most. Drizzle the sauce over them and top with the chillies and shallots.