Recipe by blancpage
One of my many favorite comfort foods is beef stroganoff. I now suffer from IBS and can no longer tolerate traditional stroganoff recipes, which is just like nearly every other food I grew up on that my mother cooked that I loved. Here is a recipe that I threw together with the ingredients I had on hand and with what I understood tasted well together. This was also an experiment to see if I could make some type of a stroganoff substitute. I didn't have any sour cream substitute so I thought I'd see if the bit of cream cheese substitute would be of any interest. As with all my posted recipes, a lot of the ingredients are estimated to the best of my ability, and I use ingredients that I can afford and that are tailored as best as posible to what I need for my IBS diet. Also, as usual, feel free to modify the recipe to your needs and tastes. The end product was a teeny bit soupy, but there should be enough noodles to soak up the soup, especially if you serve this with some bread on the side. I hope you enjoy my creation. :)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey (the leaner, the better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms (I used the presliced white mushrooms bought from the produce section)
- 12 ounces uncooked pasta (usually stroganoff is made with egg noodles. I have to use No Yolks. They come in 8oz packages)
- 24 ounces creamy portabella mushroom soup (Imagine is a brand of non-dairy cream of soup substitute)
- 1 tablespoon tofutti better-than-cream-cheese (or other subsitutute, I recommend Tofutti brand Better Than Cream Cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground turkey with the onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until meat is completely done. Drain and set aside in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, saute the sliced mushrooms in as little margarine as necessary.
- Cook the No Yolks per package directions in a large pot, except cook them until al dente.
- When the mushrooms are done, set them aside wrapped in a double layer of paper towels in a bowl to absorb any extra margarine.
- Drain the No Yolks and rinse with hot water as directed on the package.
- In the large pot used to boil the noodles in, add the browned ground turkey mixture, sauteed mushrooms, drained noodles, the Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, and the soup. Mix well and heat on high to a gentle boil, stirring often. Serve immediately.