Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my Mom's recipe and I recall her serving this as a side dish with ground beef patties. I wasn't too fond of eggplant growing up, so I would eat all of the coating and leave the poor little unadorned eggplant disks behind on my plate. Now that I love eggplant, I married a man who is violently allergic to it. When I prepare this recipe, I can freeze individualized portions for myself, hide them in the back of the freezer and he never has to know they exist! They are perfectly sized for sandwiches and subs. Low carbers can substitute crushed pork rinds blended with parmesan cheese for the crumbs.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb saltine crumbs (or seasoned Italian breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (or margarine or italian dressing)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (or prepared spaghetti sauce)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper each eggplant slice.
- Dip each slice of eggplant into the melted butter and then coat with the cracker crumbs (you may have to press the crumbs into the eggplant).
- Place the individual slices on a greased cookie sheet.
- Cover the top of each disk with the marinara (like a miniature pizza).
- Place sliced or shredded cheese on top of the sauce on each disk.
- Sprinkle the top of each one with the parmesan cheese.
- Place the sheet on the middle rack in a 350°F oven and bake for 30 minutes or until eggplant feels soft when a fork is inserted.