Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Southern Living. This is very different from the usual green bean casseroles out there. I prefer sweet onions such as Walla Walla or Vidalia, but ordinary cooking onions are fine too. French style green beans are regular green beans that have been thinly sliced. If all you have is the regular kind, simply slice them into thin strips with a knife or use them whole.
- 411.06 g can French style green beans, rinsed and drained
- 311.84 g can white shoepeg corn or 311.84 g can corn, rinsed and drained
- 304.75 g can low-fat cream of celery soup or 304.75 g canregular cream of celery soup
- 2-3 stalk celery, trimmed,washed,and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 226.79 g container light sour cream or 226.79 g containerregular sour cream
- 1.23 ml salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml ground pepper
- 22 round butter flavored crackers, such as ritz,crushed
- 56.69 g package sliced almonds
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F and have ready a greased medium oval baking dish (7"x11" size).
- Mix together the cracker crumbs, nuts, and the melted butter and set aside.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour into the prepared pan, sprinkling the nut mixture over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Great recipe. Similar to another that I have made which also has a can of water chestnuts in it. Adds a little extra crunch. Thanks for posting.
Excellent - worthy of 5 stars - but I doubled and used 2 cans green beans and 2 cans of corn. Looked way too soupy until I did. Flavor was superb! Had it at a church dinner and loved it.
OMG MAKE THIS!! Everyone raved over this dish! One thing needs to be altered though: Saute the onion before you mix it in....the diced raw onion was too crunchy (and too strong) because the bake time is only 35 minutes. The sliced almonds make this a really pretty dish (much prettier than the picture attached to this recipe). I used Club crackers instead of Ritz. It was DELICIOUS!!