Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another nice soup I am looking forward to trying from the Somersizing website. Looks great. For anyone that isn't familiar with Somersizing, you need to eat the right combination of healthy fats, protiens, carbs, etc. It's all about balance. ;) SuzanneSomers.com **I haven' tried this one yet, I am guessing on the servings.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 44.37 ml butter
- 2 (226.79 g) can green chilies, diced
- 2 (566.99 g) can diced tomatoes (Rotel can be used)
- 226.79 g package cream cheese
- 226.79 g can chicken broth
- 354.88 ml cream (you can use 1 cup cream and 1/2 c. water.)
- 19.71 ml lemon juice
- 9.85 ml garlic powder (start with 2 teaspoons and adjust accordingly)
- 9.85 ml cumin (start with 2 teaspoons and adjust accordingly)
- 9.85 ml cayenne pepper (start with 2 teaspoons and adjust accordingly)
- salt, to taste
- 236.59-473.18 ml rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (can use breasts or tenders chopped)
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (white part)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (to taste)
- Melt butter over med. high heat. Saute onion in butter until translucent.
- Add green chiles and tomatoes (do not drain either one) and cook, stirring constantly, until about half of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add cream cheese and cook until melted, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, cream, lemon juice and seasonings. (At this point, you can puree the soup with an immersion blender, but that's optional--it's good either way).
- Add chopped chicken and heat until warmed through. Do not boil.
- Serve, garnishing each portion with chopped green onions and chopped cilantro.
- According to the original poster, the garnish is a must for this soup. All the fresh ingredients give it a "crunchy kick.".
- Non-Somersizers can also garnish with either cut-up & fried tortilla strips OR crushed Nacho Cheese Doritos.
Great recipe, spicy for me but perfect for my older kids! I added black beans and used tortilla strips on top w the onion. I may have to go with mild rotelli tomatoes next time but only because I'm wimpy! My boys also crushed some bacon on top we had for sandwiches. They say 5 star dinner !
Oh my gosh, this soup is addictive!! I do recommend blending the soup, as was given as a possible suggestion in step 4. The soup is creamy, rich and spicy!! It was too spicy for my kids (not for me though!) so next time I'll probably only use 1 tsp. of the cayenne pepper. I topped mine with crumbled tortilla strips for a delightful crunch. Loved this soup..thank you! ~Made for the Aussie/NZ September Swap~