Recipe by Mommy Diva
This is a recipe from the website that other Somersizers have posted - said to be terrific and it fits within the guidelines. I saw many used a rotisserie chicken - bet that would add come nice flavor and speed to this dish! I enjoyed Somersizing last time around, and OBVIOUSLY need to get back to it!! ;) Enjoy!! Appears to be Level One meal - but there is an additional section for anyone wanting to make it a LEVEL TWO meal. **Original posting called for 3tbsp of tomato paste, but most reviewers semed to like the recipe changed this way, so I am posting as such.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
I have 4 of Suzanne Somer's cookbooks, since I was really into "Somersizing" for a long while AND her recipes have always been wonderful. I've never gone to her website but will have to check that out. I do believe there is something to food combining in terms of easy digestion, etc... This is a great soup recipe! I made it for level one. The soup is filling and very flavorful. Thanks for a great Somersizing recipe!
- 1 walla walla onion, peeled (Vidalia or other sweet is fine)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled (or 3 tsp minced jarred garlic)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 6 cups chicken broth (3 cans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste (may freeze the rest for later use in zip loc bag, depending on taste)
- 1 lb rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (1lb thinly sliced chicken breast or 7-8 chicken tenders)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- 4 corn tortillas (Only for use if making a Level TWO meal, see below) (optional)
- sour cream, full fat
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- scallion, chopped
- tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree first 3 ingredients together in food processor.
- Heat stock pot with olive oil add the puree, chili powder, cumin and tomato paste, sauté stirring constantly about 1 minute.
- Add broth and let simmer for 15 minutes. (You can simmer longer to enhance flavors).
- Add in thinly sliced chicken breast (or shredded rotisserie) and simmer about 15 more minutes.
- Add in lime juice, salt and pepper (a few dashes of Tabasco are good too) to your liking.
- 3.Before serving stir in a cup of cheddar cheese until melted.
- 4.Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with full fat sour cream , more cheese, diced tomatoes and scallions.
- ****FOR LEVEL 2:.
- After step 1 add 4 broken up corn tortillas (toasted in oven).Simmer for additional 10 minutes then puree with hand held blender.
- Continue on to step 2.****.