Recipe by MarieRynr
Braised chicken pieces combined with a tasty Somerset Cider and Cheddar Cheese sauce.
Top Review by Aussie mum 2_2
I agree with HappyBunny an easy to make and delicious tasting recipe. Although I couldn't taste the cider much (maybe I needed more)the sauce was very cheesy with a slight mustardy taste. Personally I found there to be too much sauce but that is just me, my husband loved it, I am going to freeze the left over bit to see how it goes. But will be making again. Thanks
- 4 chicken portions
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ounce flour
- 3⁄4 pint milk
- 1⁄4 pint dry somerset cider
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon made English mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350ºF or mark 4.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan and lightly brown the chicken pieces.
- Transfer to a caserole dish and roast for approximately 1 hour until cooked through.
- Prepare the sauce by melting the remaining 1 oz butter in a saucepan and gently cooking the onion until soft and transparent. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the milk and cider gradually.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time until the sauce thickens.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in three quarters of the cheese, the mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the cooked chicken, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and brown in a hot oven or under a grill.
- Serve hot with green vegetagles and jacket potatoes.