Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've made this jelly for years and given it away faster than I could make it. I must have a lot of crazy friends, don't ya think?
- 1⁄2 lb of ripe habanero pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of mixed red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups sugar (exactly)
- 1 3⁄4 ounces surejel dry pectin
- (Always wear rubber gloves whe handling hot peppers).
- In a food processor, working in batches, grind habs,bell peppers and vinegar as finely as possible. Place in a large bowl and add apple juice.
- Stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, Strain juice through a jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth. Measure exactly 4 cups of juice. If necessary, add more apple juice to make 4 cups.
- Place juice in a large non reactive pan. Add salt and Pectin. Bring to full rolling boil stirring constantly. Add sugar and continue to stir. Bring back to a full rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars, ajust caps and process for 5 minutes in a water bath canner. Makes 3 1/2 pints or 7 half pints.