Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got this from a local multicultural event.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean lamb, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces canned tomato paste
- 2 cups raw white rice
- 4 cups boiling water
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over meduim-high heat.
- Add meat, stir, & brown on all sides, 18-20 minutes.
- Add onions & garlic, stir, and saute until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, spices, & tomato paste. Stir to mix well, cook on medium-low for 5-7 minutes.
- Slowly stir in rice & boiling water, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 18-20 minutes, until rice is done.
- Remove from heat & keep covered 15 minutes before serving.