Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Posted for ZWT7 African region. Gluten free but not corn free. Recipe from http://www.somalirecipes.com.
- In a bowl mix 1 cup of water with the corn starch and food coloring, mix well until smooth.
- In a no stick pan on medium high add the remaining water, white sugar and brown sugar. Stir well until sugar is fully dissolved. Once small bubbles have started to form (not a full boil) add the corn starch mixture.
- Stir constantly until it just starts to thicken then add the oil. Stir well. Reduce heat to low. Stir for 30 seconds every 15 minutes adding 2 tablespoons of butter/ghee each time to incorporate. (Do not over stir) It will take about 1 hour and 30 minutes or so for the Halwo to become very thick and a lot of tiny bubbles will form.
- When that happens add the cardamom powder, nutmeg and nuts (if using). Stir well and pour the Halwo into a dish/cake pan. You may use a very small cake pan that is 6" X 9" for a thick halwo. It will fill that size pan to the top.
- Let cool on unrefrigerated, 3 hours for the small pan. Once fully cooled, turn pan upside down onto a plate and the Halwo will slide out.
- Cut and Serve.