Recipe by luvinlif2k
This is a wonderfully flavored stew from "Extending the Table". One of my favorites to serve with "Injera" (see my other recipes) Add hot chili peppers or ground red pepper for a spicy stew.
Top Review by AB_Fan
We thought this was great, but had a bit too much cumin in it for our tastes. I loved everything else about the dish -- the combination of vegetables in a tomato-based broth was great, and by adding a little okra you eliminate the need to thicken the stew with a roux or cornstarch later. Very good, but next time I'll add half the cumin called for. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT4
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb stewing beef, cubed
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup squash, cubed
- 2 -3 okra, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups water, divided (or enough for stew consistency)
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion in 1-2 Tbsp.
- Add and brown beef.
- Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add squash, okra, carrots, tomato paste, and 1 c.
- Continue to cook on high 5 minutes.
- Add potato, green pepper, salt, cumin, garlic, cilantro, and 1 c.
- water (or enough for thick stew consistency) Simmer until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice or with"Injera- Ethiopian Flat Bread" known as canjeero in Somalia.