Recipe by Bill Hilbrich
The flavor of the mushrooms, which offer a safe and natural alternative to MSG, is balanced by the sweetness of sauted onions and then by the fresh flavors of garlic and lemon which are added at the last moment. This rice dish for one, can be easly expanded, and I like to serve it with Pickle Dilly Green Beans Pickle Dilly Green Beans, and lightly flavored red or white meat.
- 1⁄3 cup raw white rice (Not the quick cook stuff)
- 2 ounces canssliced button mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in a medium sized pan until melted and saute the onion until nearly transparent.
- Add mushrooms and rice and stir until all the rice grains are coated in the oil/butter mixture.
- Add the chicken stock and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook rice mixture covered over very low heat for 15 minutes and then let sit for another 10 minutes.
- DO NOT remove the lid.
- As soon as the rice starts to cook, put the diced garlic in a small dish and cover with the lemon juice.
- Set aside until the rice is ready to serve.
- After the waiting period, remove the cover from the rice pan, add the garlic and lemon juice and fluff before serving.