Recipe by Bill Hilbrich
This recipe uses a quarter of a can of Hormel Spam to make a nice solo dish for one, but it can be expanded to feed a family of four. It goes well with a green salad and a glass of beer.
Top Review by Jenny Grindele
Using Turkey Spam was okay since I can't eat pork but in my opinion, this is not the quality most of Bill's solo recipes are. However, it's easy enough to prepare & to most folks that's a plus!
- 3 ounces Spam, cut into bite size cubes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, cut in cubes
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, that has seeds and stem removed and diced (See note below)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup raw rice (Not instant)
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan that has a tight fitting lid.
- Stir until the butter stops foaming.
- Add the onion and stir until nearly transparent.
- Add the pineapple cubes, rice, and Jalapeno Pepper.
- NOTE: If you want a milder dish, split the pepper in half and remove before serving.
- Stir until the rice grains are covered in oil/butter.
- Add chicken stock and pineapple juice, cover and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat DO NOT PEEK and let sit for an additional 15 minutes.