Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
There is usually just enough flavorful liquid in the final dish to prompt me to eat this with a spoon. The natural flavoring of the mushrooms is similar to MSG and when paired with the sweetness of sauted onions, that was enough flavor for me. However Cooking is a Creative Sport, so feel free to add spices. I found that adding a quarter teaspoon of curry powder during step four made a very pleasant variation, and the kitchen smelled wonderful.
- 1 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked rice
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a frying pan that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the diced onion and saute until nearly transparent.
- Dice the chicken breast and add to the pan, stirring until all sides of the meat have turned white.
- Add the uncooked rice and stir until all of the grains are covered with the cooking fat.
- Add the mushrooms, and stir.
- Add the chicken broth, stir and bring up the heat until the liquid starts to simmer.
- Put on the cover, reduce the heat to the minimum setting and set your timer for 15 minutes and walk away. DO NOT PEEK.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, DO NOT PEEK and set your time for another 15 minutes, and walk away.
- Fluff with fork or spoon. Service options might include a small side salad and a cool beverage.
Rather plain recipe, but very easy to cook! I added tony's, tabasco, salt, minced garlic, pepper, spinach, broccoli, and chicken seasoning. This livened up the flavor by quite a bit, and it became and pretty tasty meal :)
Thank you Bill for a beautful dinner. I loved how it looked after itself. Will for sure be making this again. Might even think of making it for a quick lunch.
Excellent! Tasty, easy to prepare, and perfect for lunch. I made a few minor changes - I used a larger chicken breast (200g), and reduced the butter to 1 tsp and oil to 2 tsp. I added 2 tsp of rose wine ("cooking juice") when I added the rice. I wanted to add the curry powder, but forgot :-) so I added a splash of soy sauce when I served it. A red bell pepper sautÃ©ed with the onions could add some color - I think I will give it a try.