Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Stroganoff Style Chicken as a main course for one or could be stretched to feed two people if served with side dishes. It is important to prepare the chicken whole and alow to rest before cutting. Please feel free to vary the spices and amounts. Cooking is a Creative Sport.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 ounces sliced mushrooms, and half the liquid from that can (half a can)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dried flat noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Start cooking the noodles in 2 quarts of salted water.
- Cover both sides of the thawed Chicken Breast with the salt, pepper, and just a little olive oil.
- Fry whole, in a deep pan (I like Cast Iron) 4 minutes per side.
- Set aside and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into bite pieces.
- Add the rest of the olive oil, and the butter into the pan, and saute the onion and the mushrooms.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the Sour Cream, the liquid from the Mushroom Can (about 1/4 cup) and the Nutmeg and Thyme.
- When the onions and mushrooms are done, add the flour and stir.
- Add the sour cream mixture, and stir to make a sauce.
- If the sauce is too thick, add small amounts of water from the pasta pot.
- When the pasta is done (about 8 minutes), add to the sauce, follwed by the chicken, and stir.
- Serve with a salad of a green vegetable.
Marvelous. I've spent hours simmering stroganoff and this is just as good with a lot less work. Only thing I'll change next time is to cut back a bit on the thyme. Seems a little goes a long way.