This recipe is adapted from one in "The Silver Spoon," published by Phaidon Press.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cubed smoked pancetta
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups hard alcoholic cider
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 sole fillets, skinned
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- snipped chives or minced parsley, for garnish
- 1Over medium heat melt the butter, then reduce to low and add the onion, garlic, and pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with the flour and cook while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more, until the flour is incorporated well into the butter and coats other ingredients.
- 2Add the hard cider, season to taste with salt and black pepper, and add the bay leaf. Increase the temperature to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes and the liquid is reduced.
- 3Reduce the heat to low. Place the skinned sole fillets in the pan and let simmer gently, uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes, then transfer the fillets to a warm serving dish. Remove the bay leaf from the pan.
- 4In a small bowl, mix the lightly beaten egg yolk and heavy cream together. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the still simmering pan juices and heat through until incorporated.
- 5Pour the sauce over the fish in the serving dish. Garnish with a little snipped chives or parsley, and serve with thickly sliced and buttered toasted crusty bread.
- 6Makes 4 servings.
- 7You can use other white fish instead of sole, if you like.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sole With Pancetta in Hard Cider Sauce (Sogliole Al Sidro)
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.4
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 249.6 mg
- Sodium 272.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 62.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hard alcoholic cider