Originally from the Rio Cafe, Astoria, Oregon, and modified from "The Northwest Best Places Cookbook". I was looking for a Sole recipe that was a little more spicy than your average butter and herb sauce. Goes well with beans and rice. Flounder will work just as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Sole
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups finely ground cracker crumbs, bread crumbs (esp. panko)
- 1 1/2 lbs sole fillets (petrale, lemon or rex sole, or flounder)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (more if needed)
For the Red Chile Garlic Salsa
- 1/2 cup whole dried red chili (chiles de arbol)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (adjust accordingly, as it's hot!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1For the salsa:.
- 2Heat whole chiles in a heavy skillet over high heat (no oil) to about half-blackened. Immediately put chiles in a bowl, pour boiling water over and set aside.
- 3Once lukewarm, put the chile-water mixture in a food-processor with the rest of the salsa ingredients (onion through cumin). Mix until well-mixed but slightly chunky. Set aside.
- 4For the fish:.
- 5Beat the eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Put the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Put the cracker/bread crumbs in another shallow dish.
- 6Dip the fish in the flour, the egg and then the crumbs. Set aside on a plate lightly dusted with flour. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- 7Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet to medium. Add the sole and cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Turn the fish, drizzle with salsa and continue cooking until fish is just cooked through, about 2 more minutes (or until opaque and flakes easily with fork).
- 8Serve additional salsa on side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sole (Or Flounder) With Red Chile Garlic Salsa (Pescado Rojo)
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.0
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 190.2 mg
- Sodium 498.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 45.3 g