Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is our solar cooked recipe for Chakchouka. Please watch the video on YouTube to see how we prepared it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFBQVfRoLM&feature=channel_page
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup , frozen tri-colored bell pepper strips thawed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of cold unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Combine tomatoes and peppers in a small bowl. Season with salt & pepper. Then add 1 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss ingredients together.
- Transfer to a dark round 9 inch cake pan and place the vegetable mixture on one side.
- On the other side of the pan, add onions, garlic, and paprika. Season with salt & pepper. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the onion- garlic mixture and put the butter on top.
- Place the pan of vegetable mixture in the solar cooker.
- Solar cook for 2 hours until the vegetables have softened then stir all ingredients together in the pan to combine.
- Solar cook for one more hour. Meanwhile, crack the eggs open into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After a total of 3 hours of solar cooking the Chakchouka vegetable mixture, (When the vegetables look fully cooked and roasted), Use a wooden spoon to make 4 small indentations in the vegetable mixture to hold the eggs. Carefully pour one egg into each indentation.
- Continue to solar cook until the eggs are fully cooked (about 20-25 minutes).
- Garnish with parsley and serve with rice or with bread.