Recipe by Marz
A co-worker and friend came up with this recipe and I gave it a try and really liked it. Great way to use up zucchini and eggplant from your garden! And a great plus it's healthy!
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
We didn't care for this eggplant dish... generally, we love eggplant, but cooking it this way the skin was bitter (even after I soaked the eggplant chunks for 15 min in salted water). Maybe including a cooking time would help some; I think mine ended up cooking too long as everything was a little soggy - I didn't have a need to add any extra liquid. I also felt the oregano was a bit overpowering, while the dish as a whole still felt on the bland side. I was happy that we had a very filling vegetarian meal without many calories and plenty of fresh veggies! Made for Photo Tag.
- 1⁄2 lb multigrain whole wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 15 basil leaves, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta. Peel and cube eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. Saute onions in olive oil. When they become soft add garlic, stirring so not to burn.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant. Add oregano and salt. Put a lid on the skillet and let it cook until veggies are tender and cooked and most liquid has evaporated. Once pasta is cooked, throw it in the skillet and toss.
- Add and mix the shredded basil leaves in the pasta mixture. If you feel the sauce is too dry you can add a bit of the pasta water to moisten the sauce. Serve with parmesan cheese.