Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is an excellent pizza,with a nice crisp crust and delicous flavour. Preparation time is the time to raise the dough, as well as the time to put it all together.
For the Dough
- 8 ounces plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon easy blend dried yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- olive oil, for greasing
- peanut oil or sunflower oil, for brushing
For the Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (400 g) canchopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 dried bay leaf, torn into two pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
For the topping
- 8 black olives, stoned and halved
- 1 (150 g) package mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- dried oregano, for sprinkling
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup fresh rocket
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, shavings
- Sift the flour, sugar, yeast and salt into a large bowl.
- Stir in 1/2 cup tepid water, micing first with a spoon and then with your hand, until everything comes together into a ball that comes cleanly away from the inside of the bowl.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse the bowl to remove any remnants of dough.
- Dry it and sprinkle with a touch of flour, or rub a few drops olive oil around the inside.
- Put in the dough, turning to coat evenly with flour or oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to double in size in a warm place.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over the lowest possible heat and fry the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- Add the other sauce ingredients and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 10 grindings black pepper.
- Stir everything together well and simmer uncovered on a medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you have a thickish sauce.
- Knock back the dough.
- Divide in half and knead each ball until smooth.
- Cover each with an upturned bowl and let rest for 10 to 20 minutes.
- turn your oven on to the highest temperature it will go and slice in 2 shelves with a gap of about 7.
- 5 cm between them.
- (the pizza's don't rise) Lightly brush 2 large heavy baking sheets with oil.
- Roll out each piece of dough on a floured surface to a 23 cm disk, knock off any excess flour underneath and place on baking sheets.
- Cover each base with a quarter of the tomato sauce.
- (freeze the rest for another time) Spread the sauce almost to the edge.
- Dot with olives and diced mozzarella.
- Finely chop the garlic and sprinkle it on top with salt, pepper, oregano and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, swapping the shelves at half time.
- Remove from the oven, pile on the rocket and scatter over the parmesan.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil.
I really enjoyed this pizza - and the crust was wonderful! I made one large pizza instead of two small - it was just enough to fit on my baking stone. The flavors were quite nice as they were, but this pizza invites other additions as well. I will be sure to experiment. I tagged this for the bargain basement game because I thought it deserved some attention and I'm so glad I did! Thanks for posting.