Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't tried this yet but can't wait!
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon, peelgrated
- 3⁄4 cup egg yolk (about 10)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (6 ounce) package instant lemon pudding
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Heat oven to 325°. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 1 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, the flour and lemon peel in large bowl; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in medium bowl on medium speed 2 minutes. Beat in water and lemon juice.
- Beat egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Gradually fold in egg white mixture, using rubber spatula.
- Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10x4 inches. Cut gently through batter with metal spatula or knife to break air pockets.
- Bake about 1 hour or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool.
- Loosen side of cake with knife or long metal spatula; remove from pan. Frost side and top of cake with Lemon Topping. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
- Lemon Topping:.
- Gradually stir pudding mix (dry) into whipped topping until blended.
- *1 cup whipping (heavy) cream can be substituted for the whipped topping.
- Beat whipping cream and pudding mix (dry) in medium bowl on medium speed until stiff.