Recipe by roxy_froggy25
I made this recipe for Thanksgiving and everyone loved them!
Top Review by Alz6716
Thanks so much! This is this recipe I've been searching for. My neighbor used to bake this amazing homemade bread, and I've searched everywhere for something similar. This is it. I accidentally used bread flour instead of all purpose flour, and it turned out excellent. I also let the dough rise about 30 minutes longer and used melted butter on top and bottom of the rolls before I baked them.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110 - `115 degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 7 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- in a bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, salt and remaining sugar. Add boiling water; cool to 110 degrees, Add yeast mixture and eggs;mix well, Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough, turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Please in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into nine pieces; shape into balls. Place in three greased 9 inch round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks.