1/1 Photo of Soft Wrap Flatbread
1 hr 20 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
This is a soft, fluffy flatbread similar to Taco Bell's gorditas or Quizno's Sammies. The recipe comes from King Arthur Flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 2 cups of the flour into a bowl or the bucket of a bread machine.
- 2Pour the boiling water over the flour and stir until smooth.
- 3Cover and set mixture aside for 30 minutes.
- 4In a separate bowl, whisk together the potato flakes, remaining 1 cup flour, salt, oil and yeast.
- 5Add this to the cooled flour/water mixture, stir, and knead for several minutes (by hand, mixer or bread machine) until it forms a soft dough.
- 6If using a bread machine, it is not necessary to let it knead the full cycle--about 5 minutes after it gets up to full speed is enough, but the full knead cycle will not hurt it.
- 7The dough should form a ball that is somewhat sticky.
- 8If kneading by hand, keep your hands and work surface lightly oiled.
- 9Let the dough rise, covered, for 1 hour.
- 10Divide dough into 8 equal pieces, about 3 ounces each, cover and let rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- 11Roll each dough portion into a 7" or 8" circle.
- 12Dry-fry (fry without oil) over medium heat for about 1 minute per side, until puffed and flecked with brown spots.
- 13Adjust the heat if they seem to be cooking either too quickly or too slowly--cooking too quickly means they may be raw in the center, while too slowly will dry them out.
- 14Transfer the cooked breads to a wire rack, stacking them to keep them soft.
- 15Serve immediately, or cool slightly and then store or freeze in plastic bag.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft Wrap Flatbread
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 369.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g