Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
I love to make waffles on the weekends. This is my own variation I came up with that we really enjoy. These waffles are much softer than the crisper waffles you may be used to. They should be cooked all the way through (no longer wet inside), but will be softer, more like eggy pancakes, rather than crisp (although you may cook them longer for a crispier waffle). If you don't have powdered buttermilk, then omit the powdered and use real buttermilk in place of the water, milk or cream. Serve topped with syrup, butter, or powdered sugar. Cook time is approximate per waffle. This makes about 3-4 full size sheets of waffles (4 waffles per sheet) on a square regular waffle iron. The yield will vary depending upon the size of your waffle iron.
- 1 cup water or 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup cream
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 -4 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- Preheat a well seasoned or nonstick waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- Spray lightly with nonstick spray or brush with a little canola oil, if necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water, egg, and oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, powdered buttermilk, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom if using.
- Pour in egg mixture and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine just enough to moisten all ingredients, pressing out any big lumps with the back of your spoon (batter will appear thin).
- Pour amount of batter recommended by your waffle iron instructions onto the waffle iron grids, close the lid, and cook until the waffle iron stops steaming (approx 6 minutes or so, or according to your waffle iron instructions).
- Bascially, when the lid opens easily without sticking, the waffle should be done.
- It will be very soft waffles- not as crispy as you may be used to- but cooked through in the middle.
- Serve topped with syrup, powderd sugar, and butter as desired.
Very tasty! My entire family loved them. Didn't waste any time putting tese babies away!
These waffles are wonderful and so easy to make.I loved the cinnamon and cardamon, they added a wonderful flavor to the waffles. I didn't use the dry buttermilk, but the waffles came out fine without it. My children begged me to make more. These are a definite repeat. Thanks for a great recipe HeatherFeather!!
HeatherFeather. The waffle recipe was absolutely perfect. I was looking for a recipe that would make soft fluffy waffles and this matched what I was looking to achieve!!!! Much like the other I did make some adjustments due to tastes preferences and what ingredients I had at home.
I did minus the cardamon and cinnamon. Only because my husband just wouldn't appreciate the taste like his foodie wife (lol, me). I also did not add the buttermilk. Only because I did not have any buttermilk.
I did add just enough vanilla to get it just a little bit of a creamy taste.
Nevertheless. I would share this recipe with others but I want people to just think I am an awesome cook. ROTFL. Nah, I will be sharing this recipe.