Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
Make and share this Soft Tacos With Chipotle Carnitas recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- plum tomato with juice, drained
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- corn tortilla, warmed, for serving
- Carnitas--position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 300°.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Season the pork with 1/2 teaspoons of salt and pepper.
- In batches, add the pork to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a plate, leaving the fat in the Dutch oven.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven and decrease the heat to medium.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until it gives off its fragrance, about 1 minute.
- Pour in 1 cup water and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits in the Dutch oven with a wooden spatula.
- Return the pork to the Dutch oven.
- Add the oregano, cumin, and bay leaves, and stir well.
- Cover and bake until the pork is very tender, about 2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a platter.
- Boil the cooking liquid in the Dutch oven until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle sauce.
- Puree the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chipotles together in a blender.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the puree (it will splatter, so be careful) and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring often, until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the pork and vinegar and cook until the pork is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with warm tortillas on the side.