Recipe by Cameronsmommy
This recipe puffs up to make great sugar cookies. To make sour milk, add a teaspoon of vinegar to regular milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 4 cups flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in baking soda, sour milk, beaten eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir as little as possible, and add the remaining flour as necessary to make dough thick enough to roll out.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on baking sheets.