Recipe by andypandy
This is an old recipe from 1952. This is a drop cookie so make large or small. Test one or two first when baking to get the right temp. and the right size desired. Posted for a request.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk or 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg all together and set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugars until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating until well mixed.
- Combine cream and water.
- Add alternately with the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture.
- Mix the soda and vinegar together in a small cup.
- Add mixture to the batter.
- Add vanilla.
- Combine all well into batter.
- Drop onto parchment lined or greased cookie sheet in desired sizes.
- Press raisin, date, or nuts in the centre of each cookie if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden browned.
- Always test bake a cookie to see how long and desired texture and size before baking the whole batch. These puff very well.
- Don't forget to let the test cookie, cool and taste it also when test baking.
- This recipe makes four dozen good sized cookies.
- This is a amish recipe, I recieved from Coldwater, Michigan.