Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are my oldest sons favorite cutouts. The sour cream helps them stay soft , moist and get kind of "puffy" when you bake them. Prep time does NOT include chilling time for dough.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (or lemon peel)
- 4 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and sour cream until fluffy. Mix in orange peel.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture into creamed mixture. Beat until well-combined.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap or wax paper. Chill for about 2 hours.
- When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 400.
- Roll dough on to lightly floured surface to about 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets about 2" apart. (If desired, sprinkle with colored sugars). Bake at 400 for 6-9 minutes or until edges slightly golden. Cool about 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
We tried this Gluten-Free per my sis. She gave me the substitutions below. 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup apple sauce, egg replacer, 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. My sis used egg we can't do that... very good... they taste more like animal cookies or like vanilla wafers. (that's because of our flour) Thanks!! I may try more butter or more apple sauce next time
Maybe I did something wrong, but the dough came out extremely sticky, even after hours in the fridge. We tried cutouts on a lightly floured surface, but by the time I pried them up, they didn't look like what they were supposed to. So we ended up making plain round ball cookies. BUT, even after all that, the taste was wonderful!
UPDATE: A couple of days later, I cooked the second half using more flour and parchment paper under the dough, and it made all the difference. The cookies turned out perfectly!
This is the BEST soft sugar cookie recipe ever! I've never found one I truly like and this will be my standard. Thanks!