Recipe by *Parsley*
These are my oldest sons favorite cutouts. The sour cream helps them stay soft , moist and get kind of "puffy" when you bake them. Prep time does NOT include chilling time for dough.
Top Review by Seasons
We tried this Gluten-Free per my sis. She gave me the substitutions below. 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup apple sauce, egg replacer, 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. My sis used egg we can't do that... very good... they taste more like animal cookies or like vanilla wafers. (that's because of our flour) Thanks!! I may try more butter or more apple sauce next time
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (or lemon peel)
- 4 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and sour cream until fluffy. Mix in orange peel.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture into creamed mixture. Beat until well-combined.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap or wax paper. Chill for about 2 hours.
- When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 400.
- Roll dough on to lightly floured surface to about 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets about 2" apart. (If desired, sprinkle with colored sugars). Bake at 400 for 6-9 minutes or until edges slightly golden. Cool about 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.