I found the original recipe for these cookies on allrecipes.com, and modified it to be vegan, as well as by changing the spices slightly. They are truly delicious cookies, and very easy to make.
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the molasses.
- Mix the water and baking soda and stir.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and dry spices; add gradually to the sugar-margarine mixture.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients, along with the ginger and raisins, into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- (The dough may be too soft to handle at this point- I suggest either adding a bit of flour, or refrigerating for 20 minutes[or even overnight]).
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.