Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love spice cake, so why not bars?
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter, 1 cup of sugar and molasses.
- Beat in egg until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; stir into the molasses mixture. Spread into a greased 15 x 10-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
I had a hard time with these bars...stayed very wet and I had to rebake. I used a 9x9 pan. They do have wonderful flavor, much like a molasses cookie or ginger snap. I'll try them again in a larger pan.
These were sooo good. The amount of spices was perfect and the bars were the perfect accompaniment to our tea yesterday. I'm so glad I just bought that size pan because I'm pretty sure the size of the pan for this recipe is absolutely key. Thank you.
These were great. I made them with Splenda. Next time I'll use a little extra Splenda and a little extra salt. I should mention the dough was very thick. A 9 X 9 baking dish worked best for me. Also, the baking temperature was 375 degrees.